Baptism of Children Under the Age of 7
Procedure for Reception of the Sacrament at St. John's
Contact the Office of Discipleship and Mission to register for an upcoming preparation class and Baptism date please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Parents and sponsors need to be properly instructed in the meaning of the sacrament and the obligations (Canon 851). We offer a Baptism Preparation Session each month on the typically on the first Monday of the month. Child care is available during our Baptismal Preparation class upon request.
2. Parents must choose an appropriate godparent for their child. Only one godparent is needed but two may be chosen. One (or both) godparents must be a practicing Catholic: at least 16 years of age, confirmed in the Catholic Church, attending Mass on a weekly basis, and if married must be married within the Catholic Church. A person of another Christian faith may stand as a witness (Canon 874) in addition to the godparent. If godparents cannot be present at the Baptism, a proxy may stand in for them.
3. Parents and godparents should choose a name that is Christian in origin. Knowing the meaning of the name gives importance to the selection of a name.
4. The Baptismal Ceremony is held once a month in a communal gathering. It is usually the first Sunday of the month and takes place after 10:30 a.m. Mass. See upcoming dates below.
5. All forms related to the baptism need to be in the Office of Discipleship and Mission at least one month before the ceremony.
6. A white garment bib is provided. If you would like to have your child's bib embroidered with your child's name and Baptism date you may do so however, your child's bib must be returned at least at least one month prior to child's Baptism date or you may choose to have embroidery completed after the Baptism.
|Upcoming Baptism Prep Sessions|
Monday Evenings at 7-8:30 pm:
|Upcoming Baptism Communal Celebrations |
Sundays at noon in the Church:
Communal Baptisms are held monthly all year round
St. John the Baptist parishioners - no fee
Non-parishioners and children of parishioners - $35
Private Baptism (only in cases of illness of parent or child or deployment of parent)
St. John the Baptist parishioners - $100
Non-parishioners and children of parishioners - $100